1. Take quick, 15 minute showers - If you can, don't wash your hair every day (because that will cut down your shower times by a ton!). This saves a lot more water than you'd think, and I don't find it that difficult to do. Usually people sing or think or even sleep in the shower, so do that during other times when you aren't wasting water!
2. Turn off the TV - I hate when people leave the TV on when they leave the house or sleep. Turn off the TV as much as you can (and even cut out lots of TV watching time in your life to find alternative less-waste activities!).
3. Walk/bike to work - Even carpool if you can! Try to reduce your car usage :)
4. Buy groceries at bulk stores - I can't wait until my internship starts, because there is a bulk store only 15 minutes from my apartment! This allows you to cut out plastic packaging, and I plan on having a whole pantry of glass (sustainable!) mason jars when I get my first real apartment in a couple of years.
|Places like Whole Foods or health/organic stores usually have bulk sections!|
5. RECYCLE - Please. Recycle. Everything.
6. Compost (if you can) - I personally won't be able to do this until I get my real first apartment, but if you have the means composting is super awesome!! :D
7. Go to the thrift store! - Lots of clothes at the thrift store are perfectly fine, so buying second hand saves those products from ending up in the landfill. It also takes a bunch of water to create new clothes, so switching to second hand ensures that you aren't making any extra waste. :) I have been hitting up the thrift store a lot in the past weeks and have found some awesome clothes (let me know if you want a haul)!
8. Stop using disposable products - Our society is very much a "one-use" type of culture... Try to avoid any disposable products to prevent the landfills from being filled to the brim with them. Here are some simple switches:
-Lunch box instead of Ziploc bags
-Dryer balls/buddies instead of dryer sheets
-Metal/glass straws instead of plastic ones (or order drinks without the straws!!)
-Reusable water bottles/mugs instead of plastic ones (THIS IS SO EASY)
-Reusable bags instead of plastic: I carry a bag with me in my purse for the grocery store and other stores too!
-Reusable produce bags instead of plastic ones (these can be used for bulk food too!)
-Beeswax wrap instead of plastic wrap
-Ear picks instead of Q-tips
-Metal straight razor over plastic ones
-Bamboo bath wands/dish wands instead of loofahs/sponges
-Menstrual cups over tampons/pads
What do you do to live a more sustainable life? Comment below and don't forget to follow The Chic Cupcake to never miss another post!
Going Green Jenna <3