1. Use reusable shopping bags - This is honestly super easy! Instead of getting those plastic bags that are bad for the environment, purchase a couple high quality reusable totes to use instead.
2. Reuse jars for storage - This is something I will definitely be doing in my apartment over the summer; all you need to do is save any jars that you eat the food out of (like pasta sauce, pickles, etc.) and reuse them as storage. You can even bring them to your grocery store that sells bulk food to purchase healthy ingredients without using any plastic!
3. Start composting - It isn't as hard as you would think, and it makes you feel really good about being sustainable! :)
4. Make the conscious effort to recycle everything possible - I know a lot of states still don't have recycling centers (which is honestly terrible), but if you have recycling where you live try to recycle as much as you can! I am an avid recycler and there are still things that I never knew you could recycle. Recycle as much as possible!
5. Don't use plastic straws - When you order at a restaurant, ask the waiter to not put a plastic straw in your drink. :) (Psstt your drink will still taste the same!)
6. USE A WATER BOTTLE - I honestly get so angry at people who still use plastic water bottles every day instead of just buying a water bottle and refilling it. First of all, it is cheaper to just buy the one water bottle and secondly, everyone knows how bad plastic water bottles are for the planet!! This is the easiest thing for you to do to be sustainable, so I totally recommend!
7. Find sustainable alternatives to textbooks - College in general creates a lot of paper waste from notes to worksheets to loose leaf textbooks. Try to be as sustainable as possible by finding an online version of your textbooks (or at least make sure to recycle all of your paper at the end of the semester)!
What are your tips and tricks for being more sustainable? Comment down below your suggestions and don't forget to follow The Chic Cupcake! :D
P.S. Every little bit counts in saving the planet, so I challenge YOU to do your share! <3