Sunday, July 16, 2017

Recent Book Reads and Reviews!

Hey cupcakes, I have finally been able to do some reading recently! :D My job directing a summer camp allows me to be home around 5 PM every night, so I have been loving the free time to just sit outside and read for hours. I thought I would review some of the books I have read, so let's get started!

1. How Google Works by Eric Schmidt and Jonathan Rosenberg

Image result for how google works

This book I didn't really choose to read, and it was assigned as summer reading for one of my upcoming business classes in the fall (I thought I was past summer reading now that I am in college but I guess not haha). I personally didn't really find it that interesting.... The book was written by previous Google CEOs, so it was basically just a slew of tips and tricks for managing a successful business. If I were actually a manager of a company or something like that this book might have been better, but it was just not organized in a manner that made it an easy read. Each paragraph was just a random tip, so I didn't think the book flowed together.

Rating: 4/10

2. Mirror, Mirror Off the Wall by Kjerstin Gruys

Image result for mirror mirror off the wall

Whenever I go to the library, I love to just wander around until a random book catches my eye. This book stood out to me because I remember hearing about the woman who stopped looking in mirrors for a whole year - and this is the book she wrote after that experiment! This book was super interesting; it got a little too analytical at times (sometimes I think Kjerstin overanalyzed beauty and mirrors and such) but was just sooooo interesting to hear about a year without mirrors. I personally don't think I have ever overanalyzed my body because of mirrors, but I can see how body image is affected by all of the mirrors in the world (and I totally am amazed and give her credit for not looking at herself for a year!!). I would definitely recommend reading this!

Rating: 8/10

3. The Simplicity of Cider by Amy E. Reichert

Image result for the simplicity of cider

I am usually not one for romance novels, but this book caught my eye as I was browsing the new arrivals at my library. It was a decent length (about 300 pages), and I finished in in about 2.5 hours. I thought the plot was really sweet, and it wasn't super cheesy like a lot of romantic books. The setting of a family run apple orchard really made the story about the love of family versus the trials and tribulations of just one couple. Being a business major, I also loved the small business aspects of the book, and I think Amy did a great job of adding just enough plot twists into the story. If you are looking for a feel-good read for the summer, I would totally recommend!

Rating: 9/10

What books have you read lately? Comment below your suggestions and don't forget to follow The Chic Cupcake! :)

Love,
Jenna the Bookworm <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting on The Chic Cupcake! I love to hear what you have to say. Follow me, and I will follow you back! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...