Saturday, June 24, 2017

DIY: Resin Jewelry 101

Hey cupcakes! Way back in 2015, I wrote a post about the basics of making resin jewelry (read it here!). I have been doing a bit more resin this summer, so I thought I would write a more detailed post about resin jewelry making (with a bit more pictures!!). Enjoy! :)

What You Need
-Resin (I use EasyCast)
-Stickers, glitter, etc. (things to actually have in resin charm)
-Molds (I prefer silicon molds because it is way easier to remove the charms)
-Small mixing bowl/cup (I bought a bunch of medicine cups online)
-Popsicle stick (for mixing!)
-Lighter (to pop any bubbles)
-Bail (jewelry finding)

Instructions:
1. Lay out your mold on a flat surface. With your stickers, pieces of glitter, etc., figure out what you want your charm to look like.

This is what I want my charm to look like (without the background)
2. Before even mixing the resin, add whatever glitter, sequins, etc. that you want as the background of the charm (make sure to remove stickers, etc. before doing this! I always just set mine to the side).


3. Do this for multiple charms (because you will usually be able to make 4 - 5 charms with one batch of resin.

See how all the stickers have been set to the side? :P
4. Now for the fun part: pouring the resin! All brands of resin are poured/mixed differently, so make sure you read the instructions!!! For EasyCast, you need equal parts of the resin and the hardener, so the medicine cups are really handy! If you are new to resin, I would suggest laying down wax paper over your flat surface, as resin is really hard to get off!


5. After pouring, mix your resin according to the directions! 

6. Now, you can pour the mixed resin into the molds and over the backgrounds. Make sure you split up the resin evenly between charms so that they all dry the same. :)


7. Use the lighter to remove any bubbles from pouring (by running the flame over the surface of the charm). Cover the charms with a piece of paper and wait for it to get more tacky (for EasyCast, about 30 minutes to an hour).

The paper prevents any dust from getting in!
8. After the resin is tacky, it is time to put in the stickers! I normally use a toothpick to push them all they way to the bottom of the charm, but you could leave them floating in the middle or top if you want! :) Again, use the lighter to pop any bubbles and cover with a piece of paper.


9. Let your resin cure (will depend on brand of resin). Mine are usually fully hard after 24-30 hours. Pop out of the mold!


10. To turn into an actual necklace charm, add a bail to the back using strong glue.


11. Congrats - you just made some resin jewelry! :D


I think it is so fun to do resin, so I hope you all enjoyed this post! If you want to see more posts about resin (tips & tricks, resin updates, etc.), please let me know in the comments! 

Would you ever try resin? Comment below and don't forget to follow The Chic Cupcake!

Love,
Crafty Jenna

2 comments:

  1. OMG how great are these? I love a good creative DIY. so great, I'll try to make some :D thanks for sharing

    xo Honey - blog Royal Lifestyle - Twitter - Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) It takes practice to get them right, so don't get discouraged if your first batch doesn't work out! Feel free to ask me any questions along the way!
      -Jenna <3

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting on The Chic Cupcake! I love to hear what you have to say. Follow me, and I will follow you back! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...