Sunday, February 26, 2017

Lent: What to Give Up

Hey cupcakes! I cannot believe it, but Lent is going to start in a few days! :O Being a Catholic, I have always tried to give something up during the 40+ days of Lent. However, I know that for a lot of people they don't really know what to give up, so I thought I would make a post with some suggests today! :) Let's get started!

1. YouTube - If you're like me, YouTube can be a huge distraction when I am procrastinating doing my homework. I gave up YouTube these past two years, and I can honestly say it allowed me to be more productive and focus on the more important things in life.
Image result for youtube logo
2. Your favorite unhealthy food - While this might sound basic, giving things up for Lent is supposed to strenghten your relationship with God as well as make you a better person. So, if you have a habit of eating too much of this food or drinking too much soda, etc. I totally suggest giving it up for Lent!

3. Do something instead - If you don't want to give something up, I suggest doing something everyday to replace it. This could be reading the daily Bible passage, daily rosary, prayers, etc.

4. Negative thoughts - I know it would be impossible to give up negative thoughts completely, but I totally recommend trying to be aware of how much you think negative things, judge people, etc. If you are aware of it, then you can try to minimize it, and I think that is a great outcome for Lent!
Image result for negative thoughts
5. Missing Church - Give up missing Church! I know a lot of people don't go every single week, so I totally recommend giving up skipping Church so that you can attend Mass each week during Lent.

6. A bad habit - If you bite your nails, etc., try giving it up for Lent (and hopefully you can break the habit by the time Lent is over!).

7. Social media - Social media can really stop you from living your life to the fullest because you are always tied to your phone and looking at what everyone else is doing. If you can give up social media during Lent, I think you will not only grow closer to God but also closer to your friends, family, and everyone else around you!
Image result for social media

What will you be giving up for Lent? Comment below and don't forget to follow! :D

4 comments:

  1. These are great suggestions! I'm not Catholic but my fiance's family is, and I know last year his sister gave up social media for lent. It was really hard because she's on Facebook all the time normally, lol, but she did it. I was surprised she stuck with it! Even though I don't participate in lent, these were good ideas just to try in general! Especially the one about negative thoughts, because we all have them. Great list! <3

    xo, Sarah
    http://www.hustlababy09.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarah! I am actually leaning towards giving up social media, so it's nice to hear that it isn't impossible! :P

      Delete
  2. Honestly, I've never really tried this although I am Catholic.
    I could add: avoid drinking alcohol (e.g. when you go out with your friends), spending money on smth you like (e.g. makeup or clothes) or something like that :)

    great post!

    xo Honey - blog Royal Lifestyle - Twitter - Instagram

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!!!! I love to hear what you have to say! Follow me, and I will follow you back! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...