Tuesday, July 21, 2015

My Favorite (and Least Favorite!) Books of All Time

Hey cupcakes! I don't really talk about books very often on The Chic Cupcake, but I LOVE them! You can always find me reading some kind of novel or story whenever I have free time. I especially enjoy going to the library and choosing a random book off a random shelf because you never know what awesome book you may find! I think that popular books aren't always the best, so I enjoy less popular books more :) Here is a list of books you must read!!!!!!

1. The Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage - I talked about Jenna from this series on an earlier post, and these novels are AMAZING! There are 7 books in the series (Magyk, Flyte, Physik, Queste, Syren, Darke, and Fyre) and are way way wayyyyy better than the Harry Potter series! I'm not kidding! There is magic, adventure, comedy, everything! I could talk about how amazing these books are for days and weeks at a time so I will just end it there <3 They are a must read for all ages :)
 2. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - As I said before, I enjoy unpopular books over classics, but I just had to include my favorite classic piece of literature! This book is so fun to read, and the plot is exciting and really makes you think. The setting in the south isn't over done with racial things like some books, so I find it tasteful and thoroughly interesting. The characters are super relatable too! :) If you have to read a classic over the summer for a school project or something, read this one and you won't hate it!
3. Speak by Laurie Anderson - I read this book last summer, and it is very well written! The story focuses on a girl who has been raped and her struggle with this unfortunate event. The depression, anxiety, everything that happens in a teenage girl's life. The characters are so relatable, and it deals with such harsh themes in a manner that is understood by many. It keeps you on your toes for sure! There is also a movie, but the book is wayyyy better!
4. Life of Pi by Yann Martel - I love this book! It was popularized by the movie of the same name, but the movie has no comparison to the novel. The author sets up this elaborate story and in the last few pages gives you another story it could have been... It blows your mind! I admit, the beginning does get a little slow, but it does get awesome :) A must read this summer!

 5. Dracula by Bram Stoker - I had to throw another classic in last minute because OMG this book is awesome! It is the original Twilight and all those other stupid vampire books... and is super intense and amazing! It is written in journal entries from the different characters which adds suspense to the whole novel. I couldn't put this book down!
6. True Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet by Lola Douglas - This book is the ultimate teen girl novel! I love this book to this day! It is written in diary format and focuses on a famous teen who has to go into hiding to recover from drugs and drinking. It is an essential guide to growing up as a girl, and I really recommend it!

Alright, now to move on to the books that I really dislike..... This is all my own opinion so many will really like these book. I, however, do not!

1. Looking for Alaska by John Green - I started out really enjoying this novel (and truth be told the plot and storyline is pretty good), but the vulgarity of it just threw me off. Do the characters really need to swear every sentence or talk about something sexual every page? It made the book seem childish by promoting the idea that all teens do is have sex, do drugs, drink, and swear. Some teens may, but most don't! It just wasn't the most well written book in my opinion, but John Green does have some other fantastic books!
2. The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame - Worst classic book ever! Seriously, don't waste your time. The story of Mr. Toad is so well known, so I wanted to read the novel that inspired the cartoon movie.... Bad idea! It is so extremely dull and boring that by the time Mr. Toad was even introduced in the book, I wanted him to drown in the river or something! Don't read it unless you want to be bored to tears!

I hope you enjoyed this post! Now remember, these choices are just by my opinion only!!! You may hate my favorites or love my least favorites... All you gotta do is read read read! <3 :)

What are your favorite books? If you would like me to do a post like this with movies, let me know in the comments!!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting on The Chic Cupcake! I love to hear what you have to say. Follow me, and I will follow you back! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...